Thursday, 12 June 2008

What I Did On My Holiday.

Dad's place in scone. Sorry about the picture quality, I only have a phone camera..shudder!

Well... I am back from Scone safe and sound. My friend Dorothy and I went up on the train, from Sydney, last Thursday.It is about a four hour trip.
My big brother Simon was already there and was busy building a beautiful, wooden staircase on the side of the veranda, as the original stairs had become quite unsafe.

Simon with one of the new 'stringers'

I really love watching or helping my brother when he is building things.

I just cannot get past how clever he is to be able to build steps,attics,pergolas,houses...ANYTHING.
I am very proud of him. He makes me Laugh and I love him LOTS.

On Friday night we all went to bed except Dad who stayed up to watch the tennis.

Simon was due to leave at about 5AM so we said our goodbyes before bed.

Next morning Simon had left as planned and I was not surprised to find Dad not up and about as the tennis had finished at about 2AM.

I pottered about while Dorothy and Dad slept.

At around 9:30AM the phone rang so I answered it prepared to take a message for my father but to my surprise it was Dad on the other end of the line.

He asked me to come to his room,told me he had had a fall in the early hours and now, after making it to his bed, had woken to find that he could not move.

He called the ambulance and has spent the last 6 days on his back in hospital with a fractured vertebrae...he is being transported to a hospital in Sydney tomorrow..I started writing this post last night and have tried to finish it today. I did have some humorous additions regarding the bag i packed for my father and his request that the first thing i packed was 2 hip flasks filled with scotch...but I have spoken to him tonight and when I asked him how he was feeling he said that he was "No good" If you knew my father you would understand my concern for him.
I just hope that the trip to Sydney is swift and upon arrival at the hospital here he begins to improve.
So I guess, for want of a better way of putting it, I will keep you posted.
xox eve xox


Bulldog said...

I hope he's ok,I'm sure if he's been taken in to hospital so soon afterwards, there will be no nerve damage so with a bit of bed rest, he'll be good as new in a week or two. :-) I dont understand the two flasks though? why not just take one bottle?

Secret Squirrel said...

that's what he wanted to do but when i suggested that he may not get away with it plan B was the 2 flasks tucked into a side pocket of his bag...
xox eve xox

Bulldog said...

Do you aussies get strip searched on the way into hospital?!!!! a mate of mine snuck his DOG into hospital, how difficult can a bottle be??

ChrisB said...

oh my goodness, I do hope things begin to improve for him once he gets to the Sydney hospital. He must be in a lot of pain will say a prayer for him.

Bulldog said...

and I'm gonna say a prayer for your brother who built stairs for a bungalow.

theotherbear said...

Oh Eve, so sorry to hear this. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Bulldog said...

does everone tell you you look like your dad?

Secret Squirrel said...


Bulldog said...

but you did used to be sepia too!

One Fine Weasel said...

sweetie i hope he's well on the road to recovery... hugs to you and yours xxx